Monday, July 11, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Humanist Meeting

First of all, we meet on a Sunday, and I think that's just hilarious.

I had tried to nudge the online conversation toward "Lying" because we'd been talking about "Good" and "Bad" and when they finally bit, I was totally unprepared. So, here's the exchange between Husbob and me:

M: Quick! Who's the Apostolic Father who said lying was always wrong?!
H: Ummm, ummmm, ummmm - would you know it if I said it?
M: Yeah, yeah!
H: [Goes through a quick succession of names I don't recognize as being it.]
M: Maybe it wasn't an Apostolic Father.
H: Was it in Ehrman's book?
M: Yeah, yeah!
H: [Heads off for the bedroom.]
M: Oh, do you have it?
H: [From bedroom] I thought I did. I don't see it. Where is it?
M: [Helplessly watching the chat morph into something else as I start gesticulating in the direction the book should be.]
H: [Gazes dumbly at my wild gesticulations.]
M: AW, SHHHHUGAR! THE INTERNET'S GONE INTERMITTENT ON ME!!! Umm, thataway - Shelves. Counter. Stack of books.
H: [Returns with book.] Oh, this is helpful; you've marked it.
M: Have I?
H: Well, you've marked a lot of things in here.  St. Augustine?
M: That's it! That's it! Starts with an "A"!!!
H: He says it's never, never, ever okay to lie.
M: [Starts typing even though that ship has sailed.]
H: That's not a direct quote ...
M: Close enough!!

No comments: